Outsourcing IT and R&D work has become a widespread business strategy for controlling costs, accessing specialized skills, and/or freeing up resources to accelerate other projects. But outsourcing development and maintenance work carries risks that can jeopardize and delay expected benefits-or worse. The challenges normally faced by distributed teams are often compounded outsourcing, where even larger geographic, time-zone and operational process issues can further impede visibility and control, collaboration and development efficiency. Key challenges include:
- Lack of internal project management skills coupled with poor visibility and control make it difficult to keep projects, costs and quality on track
- Disparate tools, systems and processes create operational gaps that slow development and lead to higher direct and indirect costs
- Communication, collaboration and coordination deficiencies between distributed teams lessen productivity and agility
- Difficulties in managing and protecting intellectual property (IP) assets, particularly when it needs to be accessed by teams outside your firewall
SourceForge reduces the risks of outsourcing by providing a secure, centralized repository and development platform that expands management visibility and control, connects and streamlines processes, and boosts distributed team collaboration and efficiency.
- Increases visibility, control and development efficiency by centralizing project information and IP in a single, secure, searchable repository
- Boosts communication, collaboration and coordination by providing distributed teams with a common, web-based "workspace"
- Improves IP protection and governance with secure access controls and full project traceability, key elements for maintaining compliance with regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley
- Speeds alignment of internal operations with outsource teams for faster project ramp-up times and time-to-productivity
For more information on SourceForge for outsourcing, click here to read how SourceForge minimizes the top 10 risks of offshore outsourcing.