VA Software - Senior Software Engineer - Fremont, CA
Join our Product Development team and work on SourceForge Enterprise Edition. Our latest version is based on J2EE technologies and is running on several application servers (JBoss, BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere) and several databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2). We are using XP for our development, so you should be enthusiastic about:
- Not sitting in a small cubicle but in an open environment with the rest of the product development team
- Pair programming
- Direct interaction with other Product Development groups (Product Management, QA, UI designer) instead of communication via documents and endless e-mail threads.
- Test-driven development instead of generating long design documents which are outdated the day after you start development
- Continuous Integration instead of excessive integration phases after development
- Participate in all engineering activities (application design, effort estimation, test-driven development and maintaining and extending our automated testing framework)
- Reviewing and improving Product Management requirements (User Stories) - SourceForge is a software development application, so we are the customers and have a great impact in feature set and design
- If necessary, support our field staff (Sales and Professional Services) in critical client accounts
- You must have at least 5 years practical experience in Java development
- Track record of designing and developing scalable web applications
- Strong expertise with OO design and development
- Hands-on experience with J2EE technologies (EJB, JSP, Servlets, Taglibs, JMS, RMI, JDBC)
- Experience with at least one of the following application servers: JBoss, BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere and cross-application server development (knowledge of xdoclet is a plus)
- Experience in XML technologies (SOAP, XML, XSLT)
- Practical experience in *Unit testing tools (JUnit, HttpUnit, JWebUnit, Cactus)
- Hands-on experience with at least on of the following databases: PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2
- Practical experience with Linux as the development platform (Solaris experience is a plus)
- Practical experience with XP (or any other agile methodology) is definitely a plus
- Experience with other Java frameworks (e.g. Hibernate) a plus
- Outstanding team player with great communication skills
Note: "experience" means that you have significantly contributed to a commercial application that has been successfully deployed, and for which you can clearly explain your role, contribution and value.
This position is located in Fremont, California.
VA Software is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation or any other unlawful basis.